Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Response to "The Grind" by Cole Eady

"The Grind" is about a fresh graduate from Boston University, who is named Skipper Fischer. Skip is an excellent writer looking to make it on a late night talk show. The majority of the story goes through Skip's interview process and how it affects him. Skip is very determined throughout this whole process and even gets an interview with the talk show host himself, Stewart Donahue. Yet, in Skip's final interview he sees how corrupted the T.V. show business is and wants nothing to do with it. In a fit of rage, he tosses his notebook on the table and walks out without any care.

Overall, I was very intrigued by your story. I think you have a good sense of setting, which is show through some great descriptions. I also liked your characters, especially Donahue. You also have a very good sense of humor, as shown through a few of the one liners.

The setting revolves around the interview and the Late Night talk show, which is in a tv studio in New York. I would work on a few of your descriptions regarding setting. I think you need a better balance of descriptive because at times you are extremely descriptive and then sometimes you are not. I want to see a more cohesive level of descriptions.

The story is told through the eyes of Skipper Fisher, which is effective in my mind. I think this story would be interesting if you found a way to incorporate a Matin's and Mr. Donahue's perspective. I believe this would give it a very interesting contrast.

I think your characters are good and are well drawn out. I did want more description from Martin, but Skip and Donahue were described very well.

Overall, the begging was good, but I think it could be condensed in a few places. I feel at times you go a little too far with the background information.

The ending was good, but I wanted to see more with Skip. I wanted to see him walkout and what he was thinking, perhaps how it was affecting him. Use this to show a strong emotional change in him because this was something he was permanently attached to and now it is gone in seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment