I really enjoyed the concept of the story, including the realistic dialogue between the old man and the youth. It provided a foundation to show the difference on their view of life. Also, your descriptions were very vivid and well though out.
This story is written in first person, which makes it very effective. It also demonstrates the boy's personality more and does so without describing it too much.
The characters in the story are good, but I wanted more background on the boy. I felt like you left a few doors open within the character's statements. Specifically when the boy was mentioning his mother and the old man was talking about seeing bad things within life.
I think the structure works and everything is in order. The chronological order works well here and makes the story more cohesive.
The setting is understood to on a train and a bench.
The opening sets up the story to bring forth innocence in the boy. It does a good job of evoking the readers emotions when dealing with someone hungry for success and a better understanding of themselves.
In my opinion, the closing is what needs the most work and it is not necessarily the ending of the story. It has more to do with the build up of the story. For example, when the old man was giving his diatribe on life and hardships. I feel like the dialogue was very important, but it seemed a bit contrived. While it is realistic, I feel like you could make it more emotional. Perhaps, add why he has had such hardships. Use examples from his life to evoke those emotions.
No comments:
Post a Comment