Thursday, February 16, 2012

Response to "The last bit of home-made sugar" by Nate Lundberg

"The last bit of home-made sugar" is a very interesting story about a young kid trying to figure out the essential parts of life. The story is based around a family that used to grow sugar can, something most cannot relate to, which included to the boy. However, instead of being bored with the subject he took the route of finding what makes it interesting. Essentially, he is being inquisitive about life itself. For example, the scene when the grandfather shows the boy the "bakala." Immediately the boy is drawn to it because of its engaging qualities. 

Overall, I really like your humor. I think you have a great sense of placement when it comes to subtle one-liners. Like in the second paragraph when you describe your parents first encounter as a truly romantic tale. I also think you have an interesting perspective on growing up. 

The characters were very realistic and very drawn out. Their use of dialogue was also very good and consistent. I thought your descriptions and development of the grandfather was great. You also had excellent imagery that accompanied it.

The story is told in first person, which is through the eyes of a young boy.

The setting is on a ridge, which contains a small set of neighbors and farm land.

The opening is good, but sometimes I wonder if you have too much detail. Sometimes you get so bogged down in description that it starts to take away from the characters. That being said, the opening has an appropriate amount in my opinion. 

The closing was good and very realistic. I am glad you did not end it in the traditional way, instead you should how he was learning and growing from the situation before even knowing the outcome. I thought this was a very strong movie and hammered home the entire point of your story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment