David Foster Wallace's story is a very vivd tale. I've read this story several times and with each read it still manages to affect me in a cringing manner. However, they way Foster describes the scene is what makes his story so effective. He builds character and emotion, only to rip it all away from you.
What I really admire from this story is how Foster can write a general story, but still make you strong relate to these characters. Honestly, these could be any parents, but Foster makes you feel as if they are your children. He does this through imagery, description, and a strong understand of how to convey emotion. He also does an excellent job at creating a scene and a setting. Foster uses something so simple to do this, but that is what makes it so relatable. Also, by creating a scene so simple, he can focus more on the emotions of the parents.
My favorite part of the story, oddly enough, is the end. I think Foster does an excellent job with the outcome, mostly due to the way he presents the information. Foster presents the ending as an innocent child who just had his/her life taken away from them. Yet, the parents did nothing wrong, it was merely time. He also discusses how the cycle will come full circle when it rains. In my opinion, this is very powerful because once again, the child has passed on but Foster has made you care so much that it moves you.
Overall, I think this is a great story. I truly appreciate the realism incorporated within every aspect of this story. I also appreciate how Foster does not shy away from the horror, but describes it in such a poetic way that you are forced to relate. If I could take one thing from his writing, it would be that. Foster uses this skill flawlessly within this poem and it shows within the attachment of the reader.
No comments:
Post a Comment