Thursday, April 12, 2012

Response to "Spanish Moss" by Ethan Hightower

"Spanish Moss" is a story about growing up and becoming experienced with oneself and others in an intimate way. This is a story that has been told many times, but Ethan does a good job of providing a sense of understanding in the character that most lack. As they are rushing to grow up, his friends Blake and Tommy try to instigate things, as all friends do, and they realize sometimes growing up isn't always what you've done or who you've been with. Instead it is a true experience of life and everything associated with it.

I really enjoyed your use of the title. I thought opening and closing the story with spanish moss was a good move on your part and it kept me very interested. However; it also led to one of my critiques. I felt the ending was a little to open. I would personally develop that a little more and give it a more definitive tone. It will also help exemplify your character's final change.

Overall. I think you did a very good job taking a typical story and making it interesting. I think you did a really good job humanizing your characters. I would have liked to see a little more dialogue between them because I wanted to see more interaction between the friends themselves. I also wanted a little more background information on the friends. Other than that, you did a very good job with them.

In the end, you did a great job with this story and I really enjoyed reading it. It takes a lot to keep a reader interested during a familiar story, but you do that very well. I would like to see a final copy of this once you finish your revisions. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment