"As Big As Light" is a story about a main character who is losing his memory and because of that memory loss a doctor wants him to write down his thoughts and memories. When doing so, it becomes clear that he was a house servant of some kind. At this point, he begins telling stories of Huxley Manor, which include the son telling his story of his dying mother.
Throughout the story, there are vivid images and extremely humanistic qualities. I think Robert does an excellent job describing Huxley Manor and everything it represents. He also does a great job with smaller details such as the painting. The setting throughout the story is great and provides a smooth and clear tone for the entire story.
The characters are very good and very believable. The only thing I wanted to see more of is more background on them. I want know what kind of person James really is and what makes him the way he is. I think the servant's perspective is a great idea. It provides such an interesting idea of what these people are like and think you could show a lot more of these other characters through him. I think doing this would also provide a higher emotional state and help some of the things easier to relate to .
The beginning and ending were both great. You do an excellent job of building up and having me invested in the story. I also thought the ending, which consisted of the son being strong was an excellent touch. I feel like that character responded in a very humanistic way and that was all he had left. The fact that he recognized that was very interesting. I would like to know a little more of why he reacted the way he did.
In the end, great story and great job.
No comments:
Post a Comment